Wednesday, October 22, 2008

- BLOGGER APP #15: Linda Wallenfels


NAME: Lynda Wallenfels
SPONSOR/TEAM: 2-Epic/LW Coaching
HOMETOWN: St George, UT
Where are you from? I was born in Edinburgh, Scotland. Moved to NY in ’88 to be a nanny on Long Island, moved to Colorado to go to CSU, moved to St George to be in the desert. I became a US Citizen in 2000.
What kind of bike do you ride? I am fickle but right now it is mostly a Kona Explosif SS
What do you love about it? It needs very little maintenance after I hammer it hard.
Solo or team competitor? Why? Solo and with gears and with full suspension. It’s all coming to Breck Epic. I did Trans Rockies twice on a team, once single speed and BCBR. My team mate needs a rest from me ;-) and my a** likes stage racing on full suspension.
Done any ultra-endurance stuff before? Yah, pretty much since my mom stopped keeping track of me…
Favorite food? Dark chocolate. My mouth waters just typing the word.
Movie? Sound of Music
Book? The Poisonwood Bible
Worst experience on a bike? Being out on an overnight trip with 50 miles of washboard back to the car and food poisoning.
Best experience on a bike? Trans Rockies single speed last year was pretty darn fun.
Tell us about your LBS (Local Bike Shop): Desert Cyclery in St George is owned by Kong Davis who is a person that loves bikes from every angle.
Tell us about your favorite ‘local’ ride: We live near Gooseberry Mesa but my favorite ride is one right out of my back door. It has a little of everything and instantly transports me to that place where I am out on my bike.
Tell us about your favorite ride EVER: Probably Kokopelli Trail the first time I rode it. Took 2 days to ride it, fantastic scenery, saw it all in the daylight. It goes high, goes low, through snow and hot desert. During a race I did there a month after that ride Mike Curiak took a photo of me that is my all time favorite ride shot.
Describe a sponsor or company you admire and why you admire them: I admire all LBS owners cause I know it is a tough business to run so there always has to be a lot of love behind it to make it work.
Who will play you in the Breck Epic movie and why? Claire Littleton. She is so cute and can kick some a** too.
What do you hope to get out of this experience? Expectations/goals/etc. I’m coming to race Breck Epic with my racer hat on to ride my bike day after day, ride awesome single track, climb endless feet, gasp for oxygen, see fantastic scenery and roll through a white moment. I am coming for a flash of intense living.
Tell us about your history as a cyclist or in the industry: I am a mountain bike coach and a pro racer. I love coaching as much as I love racing. My coaching website is http://www.lwcoaching.com/. I have a forum on the site where I interact with other racers helping them with their training. I publish mountain bike training plans. I have two stage race plans, a finisher and a PR plan that are perfect for Breck Epic. I will be training for Breck Epic using the PR plan. My race team blog is http://www.2-epic.com/. I turned pro in 1994 and raced the cross country World Championships that year and the following year on the British National team with a high placing of 25th. I took 6 years off to have a couple of babies who are now 6 and 8 yrs old. When I started racing again in 2005 it was the endurance events that called. Beaver Creek 100 in 2004 was my first endurance event. Since then I have raced many things supported and unsupported some highlights are Kokopelli Trail race, wining Trans Rockies Open mixed and earning a silver medal at the 24 hour solo World Championships.
Feel free to blatantly self-promote here. A quote you like, a direct appeal to the voters, some hateful vitriolic slander for your political opponents (see: Rush Limbaugh, Bill O’Reilly, Ann Coulter…) This is your space. Decorate it however you’d like. My idea is anybody can follow along with my 12 week Breck Epic training plan at the same time I am. They can buy their own copy (the blatant promotion part) or follow along for free on my blog. I’ll blog what I am doing, how my training is coming along and power files from various workouts. Folks following the plan or not can comment and ask coaching questions, or just heckle me if I don’t manage to stick to my own plan – it happens sometimes… I have a few tricks to pre-adapt to the altitude which will be one of my main challenges at Breck Epic coming from 2,800 feet that might make from some interesting blogging.
Links to your work:
Coaching Article: Optimal Pacing for A races
Race Report: Kokopelli Trail Race
Most everything here and here

No comments: