The Breck Epic Blogger’s Grant (BEBG) Program was established out of pure selfishness. I like to read about bike races and I feel like there are a lot of people out there like me. I also feel that the current crop of race reports published in the straight-up vertical media sometimes lack in nuance what they attempt to make up for with a detailed list of top-five finishers. I think that people want to live vicariously through others and I’m willing to pay for a small handful of you to document your journey from wherever you are right now to your finish in Breckenridge on July 10th. In exchange for you putting pen to paper I’m offering 4 individual race entries.
1. There are four BEBG’s. They’ll be made available to solo and team competitors.
2. Only 1 person per team may receive a blogger’s grant. In the event that you win 50% of your team’s entry will be picked up by us.
3. BEBG application submission period begins today. Thanks to all of you who’ve already forwarded your literary palmares…but please fill out the form and get it back to us.
4. BEBG applicants will have their applications posted online on the event’s website. Users of the site’s forums will be allowed to vote for their preferred blogger. Winners of the ‘poll’ will receive their very own BEBG and unlimited self-promotional bandwidth. Polling rules are still to be determined, but in general, the sooner you get your application to us and published online, the greater window of availability for people to vote for you.
5. Blogger’s will be required to submit 4 training/general articles (1,000 words minimum) prior to the event and one per day (500 word minimum) while the event is in progress. Did you get 9 when you added that up in your head? Me too.
6. BEBG applications need to be submitted (via email only) by Tuesday, January 6th, 2009. That’s 6 months out from the race start which provides you a rough submission deadline of one article every 6 weeks leading up to the race.
7. Images may be included – please submit screen-resolution images unless otherwise directed.
8. Articles will be edited by BE staff, posted online at http://www.breckepic.com/ and blasted out to the members of our newsletter email list. The copy of BEBG recipients becomes the exclusive property of the event. You may repost your copy, but in broad strokes, we own exclusive rights. This leads us to…
9. Your blogs will appear on the Breck Epic website and in email blasts. Each blogger will also be ‘paired’ with one of the industry publications. BE staff will edit and forward your copy (race journals only) to your designated publisher with the sole intent that it be allowed to be published on that publication’s website.
10. Don’t be bummed if you don’t win! If you habitually write we’ll happily post links to your stuff on the blog page. There are also event sponsors who may request their own writer for the event. We’ll address this situation one-on-one with sponsors and writers as it becomes relevant.
11. We (OK, “I”) hold the deciding vote. I could be coy or less than up-front about that, but there are also strategic reasons for this program. I’ll serve as the ultimate tiebreaker if necessary.
12. Please submit your application by January 6, 2009 to email@example.com. Sans-serif fonts only please.